Miss Clark's Reviews > Silent on the Moor

bookshelves: historical, mystery, paranormal
Recommended to Miss Clark by: Angie
Recommended for: Mature Historical Mystery readers
Read from August 29 to September 03, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Definitely my favorite thus far of the series because we get so much time with the characters and less spent on the mystery. The mysteries are what push the plot along, but rather too much time is spent on them for me when I would rather have more time with my characters.

I don't know why I have not said this before, but I like how each chapter in every book starts with a Shakespeare quote! That is fun and I like to see if I recognize them.

We get plenty of Brisbane's backstory this time around, including meeting some of his relatives. The question of Julia and Nicholas's relationship is settled here and while it was drawn out, I am glad that we saw them have this time to know one another rather than have it been too hurried in the first book and I am looking forward to how they deal with married life in the fourth book out this October.

The mystery was, for me, predictable since I figured it all out before it was revealed, but very tragic and disturbing. It will be interesting to what extent Brisbane ever embraces his Sight and if it will become a larger part of the stories. I liked how from the beginning he had a vision of him and Julia together. Longish, but enjoyable and recommended for mature fans of historical mysteries.

And the cover? Ugh. Sorry to be seen with the book. I am glad they went to a slighter less embarassingly misrepresentative cover for the next volume, though I wish they would simply go back to the old covers which were lovely.

Content Advisory: Contains reference to incest, infanticide, homosexual relationships, etc. None of these are graphic, but all are referred to during the course of the story. You have been forewarned.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent on the Moor.

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace So I wasn't the only one who's annoyed at the cover. The others were nice and looked good on my shelf and then boom, there's that cover after two other cool covers. Very annoying.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Loved the review!

Miss Clark I know - Garish, awful thing!