Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Jan 27, 08

bookshelves: fiction, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, novel, speculative-fiction, fairy-folktales, gr-a, books-about-books
Recommended for: everybody, especially those who have used reading to get through challenging times
Read in January, 2008

Part fairy tale and part psychological study, I found this to be an engrossing and powerful book. Recommend to everybody, particularly those who have used reading and books to get themselves through difficult times, especially in childhood.

I don't look at this book the way some readers apparently have: as sci-fi or fantasy, but instead see it as showing the redemptive power of books and stories in children's and adults' lives. And as an account of one boy's inner life and imagination.

I'm not sure which way the author intended it, but it’s a wonderful coming of age story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi This book looks wonderful. It's on my list for my next bookstore run.

Lisa Vegan Sandi, I loved this book. I hope that you enjoy it. It's very unusual, in my opinion.

Lisa Vegan Ginnie, Well, that's the way I looked at it. Perhaps I read myself into the book. But, if you do read it, and it is a kids' book, I'd be curious if you see it as I do.