Kristen Northrup's Reviews > The Flying Troutmans

The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: fiction, own
Read in August, 2010

I read this reluctantly. I received it via an indie-book-of-the-month club rather than deliberately. The only thing I tend to dislike more than stories about dysfunctional families is stories about eccentric ones. And I especially dislike eccentric children. Also, I didn't enjoy Little Miss Sunshine, although I never doubted that was coincidence.

All that said, I did not dislike this book. It was well-written. Still not my taste, and I disliked Thebes all the way to the end, but the narrator and Logan (the teenager) were sympathetic and believable. The mother, unfortunately, was a classic artistic insane type, which always just feels gimmicky and was an unwelcome distraction.

There was some successful humor and many thoughtful passages on family relationships and responsibilities. And I like how she ended it. It's a technique that some find unsatisfying but I felt it really worked, and I can't imagine what would have been an improvement. I did miss wherever the source of their unlimited travel funds were explained, so that nagged at me periodically.

A couple favorite quotes:

"...and what the hell can I offer that an ashram can't? I mean besides silence and solitude and spiritual revitalization."

"I couldn't see him but I could hear him snoring softly, humming, like a little airplane lost in the clouds."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flying Troutmans.

Quotes Kristen Liked

Miriam Toews
“I couldn't see him but I could hear him snoring softly, humming, like a little airplane lost in the clouds.”
Miriam Toews, The Flying Troutmans