Michael Ramm's Reviews > Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella

Sep 04, 10

Recommended for: baseball fans
Read from September 03 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The book that the movie Field of Dreams (which is one of my favorite movies of all-time) has much more than the filmmakers used.

It is the story of Ray Kinsella and how he plowed under his precious corn fields in the middle of Iowa to build a baseball field because a mysterious voice from beyond told him to do so. He is ridiculed by family, almost bankrupt, but he continues to manicure the field until one day some one shows up to play on the field. It is none other than 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson, the famous left fielder for the Chicago White Sox. Jackson was banned from baseball in 1920 because of his supposed involvement in the Black Sox scandal from the 1919 World Series, where 8 members of the White Sox were accused of taking money and throwing the Series. Jackson maintained his innocence until the day he died, but nonetheless he was banned from playing the game that he loved more than life itself.

The story brings Kinsella together with his father, who had played semipro before Kinsella was ever born and the son gets to watch the father play ball with the 1919 White Sox. The field also fulfills the dreams of two other characters: world famous author J.D. Salinger and Dr. Archie 'Moonlight' Graham. Both of whom had aspirations of playing baseball as a career, instead of their chosen paths.

My love of baseball is about as big as it is for Kinsella. I grew up playing the game, I love going to games and watching them on TV, and now I am helping my 8YO learn to play and love the game as I do. I can see how Kinsella is so moved by the game, that everything, but his family, is second to it. 'Shoeless Joe' is a wonderful testament to the love of the game of baseball. Little did Kinsella know that one field would fulfill the dreams of so many people, himself included.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoeless Joe.

09/03/2010 page 80
29.0% "Very good book. The movie adaptation was very close to the actual book. I didn't know that the author Kinsella is worried about is actually JD Salinger!"