Lyndsey's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Oct 17, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-2010, reviewed-3-stars, audiobooks
Read in March, 2010

This one was really difficult to decide on a rating. Like the others, I definitely don't think it lives up to the hype.

If you aren't a dog person then I wouldn't really recommend this for you because it was my interest and attachment to the pups, not to Edgar himself, that got me through this book. I started to read it but it just didn't hold my attention well and I ended up finishing it as an audiobook.

It's been a while since then, and I've actually grown to appreciate it more than right after I finished. It's one of those endings that stays with you even though the plot wasn't exactly wrapped up nicely with a bow on it. If you are interested, then I would really only be able to recommend listening to the audiobook. The reader was somewhat monotone but still more engaging than just reading it in the book.

The ending scene has really haunted me and is strangely redeeming to the less than stellar execution of the plot, but I only felt that way after it had been a while. At first, I felt a little jilted over the ending. Hopefully others can appreciate it more right away.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.