Lyndsey's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Dec 01, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-2010, genre-urban-fantasy, about-werewolves-shifters, reviewed-4-stars
Read from November 21 to December 01, 2010

When I first read the description for this book, I thought "Here we go with the werewolves again." We're werewolves. We like to run. We like to hunt and we like to kill vampires. Thankfully, there was pretty much none of that in this book. No vampires? Amazing!

Recently I've been in a bit a of a rut, and despite picking up some really interesting books, nothing lately has been holding my attention. I find my mind wandering to other completed series. Hmmmm, I wonder what Peeta is doing right now.

But finally! Finally, something held my interest and had me itching to find out more. I just love that feeling! When a book gets under your skin. When you start daydreaming about other things going on in it's world, searching for sub-text and insight into the characters minds.

As much as I hate to admit it, I couldn't wait to find out what Ren would do next. Don't get me wrong, I love my hero types; but sometimes, just sometimes, I love some bad in my boys a little bit more. I mean I'll take Han Solo over Luke Skywalker any day.

And Ren is all the best kinds of bad. To put it eloquently, he has the perfect combination of not giving a crap and at the same time giving a crap. That is really hard to even out with many characters. Many male characters tend to be either too chauvinistic or way too bleeding-heart. Ren is the perfect wicked combination. Maybe not the perfect match for Calla, but I LOVE him. Don't get me wrong: I love Shay as well, just not in THAT kind of way.

I also really appreciated that this book was not all about warring factions of supernatural creatures like so much of YA fantasy, although it pushes toward a future of war. This first book of the series was more about a single faction establishing peace amongst themselves and unravelling the mysteries of the past.

Also, alot of first person young adult books tend to either have to much dialogue or too much inner dialogue. This had it just right, and the tone and descriptions were very nice.

I was glad to see that they got a lot of answers to questions raised about the union and such, instead of stringing us along with endless cliffhangers and no resolution in sight. And yes, it ends with a cliffhanger, but it is the best kind. The kind that opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.

The plot is simplistic and primarily romance driven, but it is an easy page turner, which is what I happened to be in the mood for. Yeah, this book may be full of taboos. Werewolves (Those are in right now?) A love triangle (Haven't read one of those in a while!) So what? It just does it all so damn well.

If you're looking for a plot heavy book with an in-depth and sensible story, then this might not be for you right now. But if your looking for a romance and tension-filled read with that addictive quality, and don't mind a love frustrating love triangle, then go ahead give this one a try.
40 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

message 1: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery This review is hilarious:-) I'd take Han Solo over Luke Skywalker any day of the week.

I have this out from the library at the moment you just made it next on my list. I'm in the mood for a little werewolf romance...

Lyndsey Werewolf romances rock! At least this one does. I really wanted to make some cheesy comment about the cycle of the moon or howling at the night, but I decided not to go there. Thankfully this book doesn't go there either. Lol.

Jillian - I really hope Ren is around in the next one too. It's hard to predict with the new "circumstances". I want an ARC for Wolfsbane so bad, but I've yet to get anything from the goodreads giveaways.

Rosanne Ren is a great character, but I really think she'll end up with Shay. Thematically, I think this is about Calla breaking free from the oppressive life she had and Ren is a part of that. I am team Ren all the way though, even if he is a bad boy!!

Lyndsey I agree. From the beginning, the relationship between Calla and Shay felt set up, like it was obvious they would end up together. What I'd like to see though is a bad boy reformation. For Ren to go against the pack and the demands of their society. A girl can dream, right?

Lyndsey Hahhahahah! That's hilarious! You really don't like Shay. Maybe it's just because we don't know enough about his background but I had the feeling that he had ulterior motives. He was so damn pushy. I would rather him be evil, than be Calla's love interest. And that way, you might get your wish.

Rosanne Lyndsey wrote: "I agree. From the beginning, the relationship between Calla and Shay felt set up, like it was obvious they would end up together. What I'd like to see though is a bad boy reformation. For Ren to go..."

Totally agree about the set-up, Calla/Shay is the weakest part of the story. Ren/Calla and their evolution together would be a much more interesting and authentic story. I would not object to Shay being 'eliminated' ;)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So! I've never watched Star Wars. Not a dang one...which was pretty hard considering my bff walked down the aisle to the theme of Star Wars and had a Yoda grooms cake. You get my point.

This is the closest I've come to actually manifesting a desire to watch Star Wars. Bravo ;).

Lyndsey Obviously, you haven't seen my review of Mistborn or seen a random comment from me about how Jabba the Hutt makes me want to put on a slave Leia costume and dance around the house. But that's beside the point.

There are many, many things that should make you want to watch it. I mean the metal bikini is pretty much a guaranteed hit, whether you are male OR female.

And you have no idea how much I would love to go to a Star Wars themed wedding!! Gawd, that would be incredible.

Shannon ok, you've convinced me to finally read this. I couldn't decide what to read next but, after reading your review I'm sure it's this. I was looking for an easy read with a great story, Thanks!

Jennifer I agree with you about Ren AND Han Solo :) I did not understand her attraction to Shay AT ALL in this one! I've just bought Wolfsbane today, and I'm so hoping that she takes a turn back to Ren.

message 11: by Ruvinika (new) - added it

Ruvinika hmmmmm....I had this in my shelf for at least two years. i was kind of reluctant to read it bcz I read few really good negative reviews on it. :D
But hey now I have found this and YOU convinced me o read it. So yeah...that's what I am doing write now..;)

Kerry Gibbons Ooh I liked your review a lot.

You hit the nail on the head about Ren. FAR more interesting to read about the boy torturing himself to be a good leader, a good son, a good mate, and maybe flailing along the way...

I'm SURE the ring will play in somehow in the next book. Plus I really think there will eventually be a knock-down-drag-out fight between Shay and Ren. Has to be, right? I'm hoping Shay turns out to be evil too. Something about his super sweetness that really gives me the heeby jeebies. Seriously.

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Yessss, loving your "giving/not giving a crap" description. I personally have a lot of problems with Ren as a love interest, but I see what you're saying and I bet if Ren is a little less into sexual harassment (assault?) in later books, I will warm up to him.