Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Shadow of the Moon

Shadow of the Moon by Rachel Hawthorne

3.5 stars. After reading books 1 through 3 in this series, I thought that I had pretty much figured out the formula for each book : lonely girl overcomes obstacles in order to finally be with her soulmate, who happens to be a wolf shifter, the same as her.

The stories were cute, but fairly innocent. Average at best, but still enough for me to invest a lazy hour or two with because I'm a sucker for young love.

Book 4 in the series took a turn into unfamiliar territory and I liked where it went. I'm not sure if the author is trying to appeal to a slightly older crowd now, but I caught a few innuendos and a bit of attitude from this heroine. It didn't hurt either that the male lead was sure of himself, slightly independent, and had dark hair and green eyes (wowza). About midway through the book, something happened that made me extremely happy, and bumped my normal rating of 3 stars for this series up to a 3.5 for this individual book. I was hyped that Daniel turned out to be completely different than what I expected him to be, and I very much hope that we will find out how his "differences" effect the community of Wolford in the future.

Gone were the science research teams, but in their place was a very odd supernatural being called the Harvester (of souls or something...). I was a bit confused where this creature came from, since it didn't make an appearance in any of the other books.

Since these books are PNR and not UF, each one can be read as a standalone. If you don't like overly cutesy stories, I'd almost skip the first three and just read this one. It's still young and innocent, but doesn't feel quite as silly as previous installments.

I tried to look around to see if there was going to be a book 5 in this series (since I now have some unanswered questions), but nothing is showing up just yet. Hopefully, this isn't the last hurrah for the Dark Guardians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Moon.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Shera (Book Whispers) Glad to hear this series mixes it up. I just started book 1, and I'm really liking it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) They're definitely on the younger side, but cute. I read the first one after reading a very heavy historical fiction, so it was a nice break.

Shera (Book Whispers) It is a nice break book. Must confess I'm really addicted.