Jean Marie's Reviews > Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn

4181939
Sep 03, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction-tudor-dynasty
Read in September, 2010

Oh, those Tudors, oh that Anne Boleyn. Yeah, I've read many, I've enjoyed most mainly because I'm always curious to how an author will twist Anne's tale; will they show her in a positive light or portray her as the vindictive creature who fooled Henry VIII. This book is definitely the best novels on Anne's life and probably just as genius as The Other Boleyn Girl.

First thing is that this book was originally written in the 1940s so the prose is much different from more modern Tudor novels. It lends an almost authentic feel to the book, like it was written during Anne's lifetime. Campbell Barnes did an excellent job of marrying the two sides of Anne as well, the good and the bad. And in so, portrayed her as a lovable, while still haughty, creature who never really wanted the crown nor Henry but took the card she was dealt and played it to it's fullest until Henry tired of her.

If you're going to read a novel based on Anne's life, this world definitely be the go-to one in my opinion for it paints her extremely well without taking away her negatives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brief Gaudy Hour.

08/24/2016 marked as: read