Meg's Reviews > Fudge Cupcake Murder

Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke

Nov 28, 10

liked it
Read from September 03 to 06, 2010

With a series of books as long as Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries I like to read a few books to see how things develop and I have to admit I'm of two minds on this series.

On the one hand the characters are well fleshed out and fairly quirky. There are even a few regular extras who aren't immediately killed or arrested. Hannah actually has 2 love interests, both of which are presented with good and bad qualities rather than making one the, "good" love interest and the other the, "bad love interest Hannah can't help herself around." The two recipes I've tried have yielded decent results, yes they tend to be simplified but the author probably wanted to cover all levels of baking experience that might be reading her books.

On the other hand the books are incredibly formulaic and easy to predict. I can usually call the killer within the first couple chapters. The characters can become annoying, especially when the cops can't seem to figure anything out. I have to wonder if they go to a special bumbling cop school to learn how to mess things up just enough to make the baker by day, unlikely crime fighter by night heroine look better.

Overall this is a fun series, good for light reading. Suspend your disbelief when you read them and keep in mind that, according to the books, everyone in a small town is supposed to know everything about everyone and if they don't its perfectly ok to snoop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fudge Cupcake Murder.