Sarah's Reviews > Brat Farrar

642041
Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: mystery, horses, favorites
Read from September 21 to 23, 2010

I loved loved loved this book. There was something about the way the characters were drawn that was absolutely delicious. I found myself devouring it as both a reader and a writer, which I guess I do for most books, but I was particularly conscious of it.
I've never been much of a mystery reader, but I've been on a kick recently. I read Jo Walton's alternate-history-mystery Farthing, which led me for the second time in a year to Dorothy Sayers, and then to Brat Farrar after discussion of Farthing.
What was it I liked so much? It had something to do with the first chapter, and the way I was dropped into a family that felt utterly real, every member distinct and true. Brat, too, was a fine character, with complex and compelling motivations. I love the shades of gray within this particular case of double identity.
Also, I'm a horse person, and often get irritated with books that don't get horses right. Tey got everything right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brat Farrar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Did you see Jo Walton's post at Tor about this book?

Sarah No! Do you have a link?

message 3: by Cindy (last edited Sep 21, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Cindy Oh yeah, sorry! Here it is. She's been doing an interesting series on "double identity" novels. Here's the kick-off piece talking about which novels she is going to talk about: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/09/double-identity

Sarah Thanks! I'll read it as soon as I'm done with the book.

Sarah I look forward to reading all of the above. Now to just sit down tonight and devour the second half of the book.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy BunWat wrote: "Also here;

which is a second essay/discussion about just Brat Farrar alone."

That's the same link I included inline above ;) (The first 'Here it is' link.)

Since I've already read the article, but not the book, it's wise to wait until you're done with the book, Sarah.

Sarah Thanks to both of you for the links.