James's Reviews > Andy Kaufman Revealed!: Best Friend Tells All

Andy Kaufman Revealed! by Bob Zmuda

Sep 03, 2010

I was trapped on a Swiss mountaintop (Thyon) with Andy for two summer months. At that time, Andy was just on the cusp of his fame, performing in NY clubs. So although there were a few TM instructors from NY there who knew about Andy's talents, most of us did not -- at first.

In addition to dairy cows with bells, high meadows all abloom, and surrounding snow-capped peaks, Maharishi would touch down in a chopper once in a while, and the repartee between Andy and Maharishi was both philosophical and hilarious, with Andy assuming his immigrant persona and asking probing questions about comedy and aesthetics, as well as some over-the-top queries about sex and chocolate.

I remember Andy asking if laughter was caused by a comedian doing something wierd, and Maharishi replying that, more generally, it is caused by contrast. You can see Andy took this to heart on the Letterman appearance where he sings the country-and-westen tune "Rosemarie" while dressed as an Indian fakir.

Near the end of our retreat some one had set up a talent show. I'd never laughed so hard and so long in my life. (I've never understood why we tack on the phrase 'in my life.' One would think that 'never' would covers it.)

There are some clips of Andy of You Tube.

Bob was Andy's buddy and business partner, so a reliable source.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andy Kaufman Revealed!.