Bryl Tyne's Reviews > Gaylias: Operation Thunderspell

Gaylias by Kage Alan

Sep 03, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary, glbt, comedy
Recommended for: Lovers of comedic action/adventure flicks
Read in September, 2010 — I own a copy

Take one part Rush Hour--one part Get Smart--one part Romancing the Stone--and throw in a heavy dash of any Leslie Neilsen parody--turn them all on their heads, mix, stir, shake, and VIOLA! You have Gaylias: Operation Thunderspell by Kage Alan.

Don't expect a lot of depth in this story. Though many relevant issues are laced in, even those are addressed under sarcasm and wit. But that's the point of comedy, to make us forget about real life, to make us laugh. That's what I did. From page one, I laughed out loud. By page nine, I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath. And I didn't stop laughing until I closed the book--actually, I still smile just remembering some of the scenes, the mad music and movie references, and the witty dialogue between the characters.

Lessons learned:
In-laws often come with bright smiles and wickeder agendas
Couples should never work together, unless of course, both are masochists
Putting up with your SO on the job is the epitome of self-torture (reference last lesson learned)
Always be nice to Bears (yeah, those kind)
Never trust a pretty face, especially if he comes with an even prettier package
Know your strengths and your weaknesses, and don't be afraid to admit them to yourself or your partner
Never hurt just one-half of a couple if said couple both happen to be secret agents, your inadequacies will come back to you in a most ugly way
And never forget--your partner's always got your backside

Favorite Reference: Nicholas's reference to the They Call Me Trinity movies *Fabulous*

Favorite Line: "Of all the things they say we're going to hell for..." *Priceless*

Style-wise: I had a bit of trouble initially with the head-hopping, and no one character was explored fully due to the this, but after I got used to the way the author handled the scenes, the POV jumps were less jarring. More like a screenplay than a novel, the style seems to work for a story that was never intended to be a serious read.

If you like action flicks and could use a good few hours of laughter or are just looking for a break from the angst of day-to-day life or reading, definitely, give Gaylias: Operation Thunderspell a try.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gaylias.