Rumi's Reviews > Brave New World Revisited

Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley

Jan 07, 11

Read from December 29, 2010 to January 03, 2011

As expected from Huxley, this is a brilliant collection of essays on our society and its future. I consider it a great supplement to any anti-utopian novel, to be read when initial shock is soothed and there is more room for clear thought.

The fact that it was published in 1959 and sounds, for the most part, like the work of a modern-day social philosopher, doesn't surprise me any more. What continues to impress me is the author's ability to stay away from imposing his own leanings on his prose. Of course, as a presentation of personal thoughts, this book is slightly more partial than Brave New World, but largely the author stays true to his analytical self and does not judge. He discusses, ever so eloquently, what is happening to the world (including the world in 2011), and what might happen from now on.

Another fact I greatly enjoyed is that, in Brave New World Revisited, Huxley has made such clear statements and has explained them so well that hardly any historical background is needed to understand his points. Yet again, it seems that neither pretentiousness nor confusing language is a condition for a powerful mind. Which is always good to know.

This book is a must-read for everybody, even if they're not too interested (like me) in politics or big bad global issues.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World Revisited.

12/29/2010 page 91