loafingcactus's Reviews > The Marketplace of Ideas: Reform and Resistance in the American University

The Marketplace of Ideas by Louis Menand

Sep 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-2010
Read from September 06 to 09, 2010

This book actually showed up as a "people who read that also read this" on Goodreads! I would have dismissed it as yet one more anti-intellectual screed, except this is the author of the Metaphysical Club (very fabulous).

The book is a nice short review of the history that leads up to the format of today's university- very eye openeing! Menand then focuses on a few statistically demonstrable elements of dysfunction. He doesn't present any concrete suggestions for reform, which I would have liked to see.

The sort of suggestions he hints at are all about making the development and employment of PhD instructors more efficient. I have a different view, about making a PhD an educational capstone available and desirable to more people. As someone in the PhD-making business, I'm not sure why he would want to contract his business rather than expand it, but he clearly sees PhD's not employed in acadamia as a bad thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marketplace of Ideas.