Sarah's Reviews > A Simple Act Of Violence

A Simple Act Of Violence by R.J. Ellory

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read on September 03, 2010

Finished 3/9/2010 - Heard RJ Ellory being interviewed on radio4 about this book and thought it was worth looking into. Found it in a local branch library, and have been ploughing my way through it the last three weeks or so. Not read any Ellory before, and crime fiction isn't my usual bag, but tend to enjoy the books I do get round to reading. Mainly I wanted to read this to find out more about what Ellory had said about a certain US government agency. Although this is a work of fiction, the author claimed that after publishing, he was approached by various former workers of this agency who told him how close to the truth he had got.

I don't want to mention too much about the plot so to avoid spoilers. But suffice to say it is about a Washington cop, Miller, who along with his partner Roth start investigating a serial killer. Of course, as the book progresses, it is clear that there is far more to it than first appears.

As I started reading the book I was struck with how hackneyed the language was, totally obviously a crime book, but once I became absorbed in the read, this mattered less and less.

The ending was pretty effective. I cried and loose ends were tied in pretty imaginative way. I've read worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Simple Act Of Violence.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Greenwood I read this on your recommendation and very much enjoyed it. PS I notice a fair few of your read list are or have been free on the amazon bestsellars list. Just sayin'.