Dancce's Reviews > Sojourn

Sojourn by R.A. Salvatore

Nov 27, 13

it was ok

Liked less because the Underdark suddenly went somewhere, and - a blind goodly ranger with a whole heap of animal friends? Come on. AND a major thing. Drizzt has always seemed to be a fighter as far as I'm concerned. No ranger-thing there. It's just weird. He rarely shows any ranger skills at all, except for sneaking around - and that's something any light-weight rogue/fencer can do. Plus, he's a drow, for goodness's sake. He could never have grasped the scope of the Surface's fauna and flora that quickly. Plus, he cannot see well during the day. Just... come on. I could continue. This is all a pile of improbability... I like my daily plate of logic, thank you very much.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sojourn.

Jaysen Fitzgerald So your review on the sword and sorcery novel is that it isn't based in reality? Thanks for the tip ;-)

Dancce Jaysen wrote: "So your review on the sword and sorcery novel is that it isn't based in reality? Thanks for the tip ;-)"

Reality and realism are two different things. Genre conventions are no excuse for gaps in logic. Believability is what holds every novel together, including sword and sorcery. The charm of fantasy relies upon suspension of disbelief. To keep it short, no idea is too crazy, as long as it makes sense within the story's universe, which is not the case here.