Justyn Rampa's Reviews > The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise

The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart

Oct 29, 10

Read from October 07 to 28, 2010

First and foremost, this is a book about loss and acceptance. There are some serious issues in the book that are offset by the whimsical and adorable light that Julia Stuart shines on her characters and the world they inhabit.

Ultimately, I feel like the focus is not necessarily on the loss and acceptance but rather the whimsy which is why I gave the book four stars.

The book could have been perfect in my opinion if she had spent some more time with the pain of the characters rather than injecting them in little bits throughout the book. I would have felt more invested in the characters and my reactions would have been stronger throughout the course of the book.

That being said I would highly recommend the book and I look forward to reading her first book. However, I wanted to 5-Star Love this book and in the end, I just couldn't.

I do wonder if this book were to be adapted for film, if the performances of the actors would elevate the characters in such a way to create more depth. Ah depth, that is what was missing. Depth. I never felt like the characters lived outside of the moment that I was reading.

Overall, I loved the book and because I did, I wanted it to be more than it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise.

10/07/2010 page 18
6.0% "I laughed out loud several times during the first chapter. If this were to be narrated, I would expect Jim Dale to do it. It has the charm and whimsy of "Pushing Daisies" although quite a different set of characters. Also, it is a bit crasser at spots although I suppose it makes it terribly British."
10/08/2010 page 54
18.0% "This is utterly charming and heartbreaking."
10/09/2010 page 106
35.0% "I am falling in love with this book. I feel like I am reading "Pushing Daisies". So wonderful."
10/21/2010 page 202
66.0% "The book remains adorable, however most of the whimsy has worn at this point and the book is wallowing a bit in sadness. I question whether or not this story will have a happy ending. However, Julia Stewart's attention to detail is enviable!"
10/27/2010 page 244
80.0% "I'm getting a little bit sad to leave this world, but I have only four chapters remaining. There was a recent scene in the book that made me laugh out loud! It was to still have a bit of levity:-)"