Brandon Will's Reviews > I Love You, Beth Cooper

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: chicago-authors, fiction, first-novels

I don't know. I was a dorko too, I went to high school in America, and I wanted to like this book. Some people with good taste had recommended it to me -- and they weren't wrong. This book is incredibly funny. I guess my problem enjoying it was that that's just all there is. It feels exactly like a book written by a writer for the Simpsons. And I'm not trying to put down the Simpsons here either, but, the show did lose a lot of it's depth as it went on.

I found this book incredibly stereotypical -- not in a way that shows how stereotypes are true, come from a place for a reason, but just...it showcases stereotypes. As if they are all there is. And the humor becomes pretty predictable after a while -- all very cynical towards every aspect of American culture: ok, we get it, product placement is thrown in our face and consumerism is rampant, and people are shallow and reckless and selfish, we get that -- I just prefer a book where we see how there's more, even if it's just glimpses.

There are moments where a couple of the characters rise above the stereotypes, briefly, and that is nice. It doesn't happen enough to actually make the book have any sort of meaning.

So, the book is incredibly funny -- it has a fantastic premise, starts with a bang, and never stops being entertaining. Doyle's wordplay is incredibly enjoyable. So, I hope I don't come off as a hater. This book just wan't for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You, Beth Cooper.