John's Reviews > Victoria

Victoria by Knut Hamsun

1910716
Sep 08, 10

Read from September 02 to 08, 2010

This is the most sentimental and straightforward of all the Hamsun novel I've read, but it was still very enjoyable, especially the second half of the book. The plot is typical of Hamsun, featuring obsessive love, self-destructive behavior, and characters who try to deny the things that they want most and do the opposite of what they should do. However, the level of Hamsun's distinctive craziness (e.g., midgets, neuroses, nervous breakdowns, harelips, murder) is much more subdued in this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victoria.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gertrude & Victoria Victoria, Victoria, Victoria! Come to me now.

John I'm about halfway through and so far this is my least favorite Hamsun book. But I'm sure it'll get better.

Gertrude & Victoria It's definitely not as strong a work as most of his other novels, but I loved it. It is a brief sketch about the impossibility of love for some. I could feel close to the main character although I don't behave like him. If I remember it is a quick read, around 200 pages of larger print. I hope you'll enjoy it half as much as you (we) enjoyed Hunger.

John So far my favorite Hamsun books were Growth of the Soil, Mysteries, and Hunger. But I can't judge Victoria yet since I haven't finished.