Kat Hooper's Reviews > The Illustrated Man

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from September 02 to 10, 2010 — I own a copy

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Illustrated Man is a collection of Ray Bradbury’s stories which are sandwiched between the account of the titular man whose tattoos come alive at night and set the scenes for the 18 tales in this collection. All of these stories are classic Ray Bradbury — full of spacemen, Earth-Mars conflict, psychiatrists, spoiled children, bad marriages, book burning, domestic work-saving technologies, and nervous breakdowns. They deal with the fear of atomic war, loneliness, prejudice, madness, and the dangers of automobiles, junk food, and media entertainment (but smoking is okay).

All of the tales are written in Bradbury’s incomparable prose and most of them are emotionally touching. But, not surprisingly, they’re almost all grim, making The Illustrated Man a book that you probably won’t want to read all at once unless you want to have your own book-burning nervous breakdown.

My favorites are:

* “The Veldt” — a father and mother are concerned about the reality of their kids’ virtual games.
* “Kaleidoscope” — a man reflects on his life as he spins toward Earth after his rocket blows up.
* “The Other Foot” — black people living on Mars prepare for a visit from white men.
* “The Man” — spacemen land on a new planet and wonder what important event could have overshadowed their arrival.
* “The Rocket Man” — a boy and his mom receive a rare visit from his Rocket Man father.
* “Marionettes, Inc.” — a dissatisfied husband purchases a clone so he can escape to Rio for a month without his wife knowing.
* “The Rocket” — about the best father in the world.

This is a great collection (by Tantor Audio) for Bradbury fans who’d like to listen to his stories. Scott Brick’s pleasant and enthusiastic voice is deft enough to realistically portray an old black woman named Hattie, a gum-smacking blonde California bimbo, and an entire Italian family. I recommend this version!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrianna (new) - added it

Adrianna Sounds like a must read for Bradbury fans. I'm adding this one to my reading list. :)

Kat  Hooper If you're a Bradbury fan, I'm sure you'll like it!

message 3: by Adrianna (new) - added it

Adrianna Kat at FanLit wrote: "If you're a Bradbury fan, I'm sure you'll like it!"

I am, so I'm sure you are right!

Bobby Bermea This edition is read by Paul Michael Garcia.

message 5: by Kat (last edited Mar 08, 2013 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat  Hooper The one I listened to was narrated by Scott Brick. It may be that my review is showing up under other editions, though. The one I see above is Scott Brick's edition, so if you see a different one, it must be showing up under other editions.

Update: Yes, that's what's happening. If you click on "see review" you'll see the edition I listened to.

Bobby Bermea Ah-ha. Thou speakest correctly.

Bobby Bermea The Rocket Man is one of my all time favorite stories PERIOD.

Kat  Hooper Bobby wrote: "The Rocket Man is one of my all time favorite stories PERIOD."

Yeah, I love that one!