Katherine Lewis's Reviews > John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth

Sep 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction-for-young-people, drug-use
Read from September 02 to 17, 2010

This kind of broke my heart. As Jake put it when I complained to him, "Never meet your heroes. You'll be disappointed every time."

I've always had a crush on John. I grew up listening to the Beatles and staring at their records, and it was nearly always his voice and his songs that I loved the most. When I watched the Anthologies documentary series in college, I found myself unable to pull my eyes away from John during any scene of all four musicians. He's just too magnetic and appealing not to love.

Well, he thoroughly pissed me off as I read this. Whether it was teenage John jeering and yelling at handicapped people in the street, or twenties John blowing off his wife and child to galavant around as a carefree artist, or thirties John dumping all over Paul McCartney and saying he NEVER wrote anything good, or middle-aged John hooking up with his housekeeper when Yoko kicked him out for being unfaithful...I just felt total disgust the whole time! I even had to put it down and read something else on several occasions because I was resisting the urge to shout at the pages of the book (which my kids would no doubt think was totally crazy).

It's clearly written nonfiction and chockful of fun photographs on nearly every page. I just...wish I hadn't read it. Boo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Lennon.