Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Touch the Dark

Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

Oct 31, 10

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, the-great-shelf-of-meh
Read from October 28 to 30, 2010

What can I say about Touch The Dark by Karen Chance?

First of all there are vampires. Yes!

Second of all, there is a heroine and a few sexy vamps around. Yes!

Then there is Cleopatra, Dracula’s brother, Eustache Dauger, Rasputin, The Oracle, Raphael (I’m pretty sure they’re referring to Raphael Sanzio da Urbino), Kit Marlowe, Jack the Ripper and whatever other historic celebrities that Chance can possibly dream up.

It’s almost like she’s jumping up and down, waving her arms screaming, “I know history and stuff!” and I found it a tad overkill.

Also, as I’m sure many have mentioned, there is a problem in this story with info dumps. I read people complaining about this but I don’t think I could possibly get the full info dump memo until I read this book myself. I’m shitting you not, this book has serious problems with info dumps.
I’ll give an example.

Imagine I’m writing a totally awesome review. That wouldn’t be hard to do, right?

awesome

And in the middle of explaining something, using one of my usual, snarky, totally catchphrase worthy lines, I start mumbling about the scientific explanation behind why the sky is blue. Obviously, because it’s me, you’re still riveted but you can’t help but wonder when I intend to start talking about shit that actually matters.

shit!
Like that…

Well, Chance does this all the time. They were in the middle of a certain-death battle when Cassandra Palmers starts giving a detailed explanation in the form, function and differing types of wards and what her history is with them. What is this, a Hogwarts classroom? I don’t care how wards work as long as you get back to telling me whether that vampire ripped your long-winded throat out!

They literally spend two thirds of the book in a single room just talking about… stuff. I couldn’t even really sum up what they were talking about. They were all just talking and I found myself drowning in a faintly reminiscent feeling. That feeling that you get when you suddenly realize HOLY SHIT! I’M READING ANITA BLAKE’S ILLEGITIMATE SPAWN!

ab
Don’t. Just don’t.

Also, Mircea, (Chance, Hamilton called, she wants Jean Claude back in his leather pants and pansy-ass girly-erotica shirts before you send him home) is totally, totally a pedobear! I’m sorry, Cassandra’s been his since she was twelve? Very disturbing when coupled with Cassandra’s recollection of spending hours sitting in Mircea’s lap and doing his hair.

Chris Hansen
Mircea, meet my friend Chris Hansen. Chris Hansen, why don’t you ask Mircea to have a seat.

Other than the squick factor I found Mircea and the other men in this book infinitely sexier and better than the ones in Anita Blake so that's a positive at least.

This book does something it should never have done and that was to mess with time travel. Note: avoid messing with time travel because invariably you will bugger it all up. Time travel is a tricky concept. You can’t just go change things in history willy-nilly. It doesn’t really work like that and Chance doesn’t quite manage to adequately pull off the time-travel aspect in the novel.

Despite all its flaws, I’m kind of interested to see where this series goes. Unfortunately, my library doesn’t stock the rest of the series so that means I’ll have to wait a while.

Over all, the writing was okay, the characters were interesting even if there were way too many historical guest appearances for my tastes. The moral to the story is that it shows promise of good action, sexiness and wit. Just my kind of thing even if men with long hair isn’t.
85 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch the Dark.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I've been wanting to start that series for a while!

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana LOL. Love the pedobear part:)

Mariel Sums of my feelings exactly. Kick-ass review, as usual.

Kat Kennedy I'm glad you guys liked the review!

LethalLovely~I'm Waiting & Fading & Floating Away Mercea is NOT a pedobear! He just so happens to have had a boner for Cassie since she was a kiddie in training bras! But that doesn't make him a pedobear!

Freaking awesome review, Kat. =)

message 6: by Amazon80 (new)

Amazon80 I’m just impressed you could finish the book. I had to stop. Their was an info dump in the middle of a fight scene and by the time we got back to the present I had no idea what was going on. Love the pedobear though

Kat Kennedy The infodumps killed me. I am ded. D.E.D. Ded. This is Kat's ded ghostwriter right now.

message 8: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Wright I haven't read this book yet, but your review made me DIE laughing, especially the PedoBear bit. The pictures were icing on the cake. Not sure if I'll read this, but I'm glad I stumbled on it for the LOL-factor of your review.

Barbara (VampAngel) LMAO! This review is hilarious, too bad I only found it after I bought the book. Although I'm very curious now. I'll give it a try soon.

Samina ~ Escapism~ I wholly agree with the comment bout a twistes Mircea. the scenorio was so creepy and wrong.YUCK!

message 11: by Haydeed1 (new) - added it

Haydeed1 I read some of the comments prior to starting the book and I figure that even though many were talking about the info drops into the middle of scenes it could not be so bad. But OMG it was annoying it was kind of ADD Cass was in the middle of an arguing when all of the sudden she is lecturing about how vampires feed. I might pick up the second book in the series just to be sure that I'll like it or not.

message 12: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Patterson oh jeez Kat, thanks for that Penny Arcade. You reminded me why that's one of my favorite strips (and why Blake is one of my favorite series)

Jennifer Mancini I know it's been years for you, but this review is pretty much spot on. Hilarious...

MrsShyCage Omg you are so right! At one point I had to stop and ask myself 'am I reading an Anita Blake novel?' because I got so boggled down and BORED inside one of many 'info dumps' that I literally couldn't tell the difference!

Sedona Garrett This review nails it. I actually didn't make it all the way through the book, mostly because the story just wasn't believable anymore (and yes, even supernatural urban fantasy should be believable!!).

Shelli This review is perfect. You said everything I wanted to say! For my review, I'm just going to point to your review. ;)