Kelly Hager's Reviews > Everything Is Going to Be Great: An Underfunded and Overexposed European Grand Tour

Everything Is Going to Be Great by Rachel Shukert

Sep 03, 10

Read from September 02 to 03, 2010

Rachel is a budding actress and is on her way to Europe to perform in a play (as an extra). While there, she falls in and out of bars, beds and love.

This is a memoir, and it's hard not to cheer Rachel on while she tries to find herself in Europe. She makes bad choices, but part of that is because she's in her early twenties on the trip. (And really, kudos to her, because most of what I did in my early twenties should not ever be written down.)

This book is ridiculously funny, but most of the really funny parts would require me typing an entire page or two, which I'm pretty sure is a violation of copyright law.

So here's a little snippet that I think will translate well.

Rachel's visiting a psychiatrist, who told her that he thinks she's afraid of success.

"I said, `Here is a list of the things I am afraid of: elephants, flying, terrorists, sexually transmitted diseases, credit card statements, Poles, ballet teachers, and failure, which is generally agreed to be the opposite of success. Unless you're trying to practice some kind of reverse psychology on me, in which case you can go and fuck yourself.'"

Recommended, especially for people who enjoy traveling and who are not easily offended. There's a lot of drinking, drugs and sex in here. Don't say you weren't warned.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Going to Be Great.

09/03/2010 page 9