Jody's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: will-be-at-the-bookstore-to-get, ebooks, favorite-authors, favorite-series, ya, keepers
Read from February 17 to 26, 2011

Wow!! I can't wait for the Iron Knight! I just love this series and highly anticipate all the coming books. This books is the best by far and I really enjoyed the first two. This book continues the story of Meghan Chase and Ash. It picks up just as the last book ends. Meghan is going home to try to live a normal life with Ash. But she soon realizes that the false Iron King will not let her live in peace. So Meghan and Ash seek safety with Leanansidhe the exile queen who also holds Meghan's stepfather. On the way, Puck appears having been exiled himself because he followed Meghan without Oberon's consent. So the three begin to train Meghan to use a sword so that she won't be so vulnerable. During this time the false king is fighting the Summer and Winter Courts and taking over the Wyldwood. The Courts send an envoy to seek Meghan to fight the Iron King because she is the only one who can enter the Iron realm and not become sick. So the quest to save all of Faery begins.

The best part of this book is seeing Ash's softer side. I always had a thing for him but after being exiled Ash has no reason to lie about his feelings for Meghan. There are some swoon worthy scenes between Meghan and Ash as they become closer and Ash pledges to become her Knight. Puck is funny and always by Meghan's side as her best friend. This book left me anxious for More! More of Ash and Meghan! More of the Iron Queen! More of Puck! More of Nevernever!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

Quotes Jody Liked

Julie Kagawa
“But ... but what if I hit you?”
A snort. “You’re not going to hit me.”
“How do you know?” I bristled at his amused tone. “I could hit you. Even master swordsmen make mistakes. I could get a lucky shot, or you might not see me coming. I don’t want to hurt you.”
He favored me with another patient look. “And how much experience do you have with swords and weapons in general?”
“Um.” I glanced down at the saber in my hand. “Thirty seconds?”
He smiled, that calm, irritatingly confident smirk. “You’re not going to hit me.”

Julie Kagawa
“Looks like nobody’s home,” Puck said, turning in a slow circle. “Hellooooooooo? Anybody here?”

“Be quiet, Goodfellow,” Ash growled, peering into the shadows with narrowed eyes. “We’re not alone.”

“Yeah? How do you figure that, prince? I don’t see anyone.”

“The cait sith has disappeared.”

“ … Crap.”

Julie Kagawa
“One more thing,” Ash said in his dangerous, soft voice as we turned away. “If you do not return with her,” Ash continued, staring him down, “if she comes to any harm while she is with you, I will turn this entire camp into a bloodbath. That is my promise, lieutenant.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash and Puck shared a brief glance, and then Ash pushed himself off the wall to stand beside me. “Lead the way,” he said, nodding into the darkness. “We’ll be right behind you.”

“For the record,” Grimalkin stated as we ventured, single file, into the black, “I do not think this is a good idea. But, as no one listens to the cat anymore, I will have to wait until we are completely lost to say ‘I told you so.”

Julie Kagawa
“Good idea,” Puck echoed from the back of the cave. “Why don’t you take first watch, prince? You could actually be doing something that doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.”
Ash’s lips curled in a smirk. “I would think you’re better suited to the task, Goodfellow,” he said without turning around. “After all, that’s what you’re best at isn’t it? Watching?”
“Oh, keep it up, ice-boy. You’re gonna have to sleep sometime.”

“Hey, princess.”

“Hey,” I whispered, as Ash slipped his arms around my waist from behind, drawing me close. I could feel his glare aimed at Puck over my head, a silent, protective gesture that spoke louder than any words. Mine. Back off.”
tags: ash

Julie Kagawa
“You are my heart, my life, my entire existence."
-Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“My name is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn, third son of the Unseelie Court...Let it be known--from this day forth, I vow to protect Meghan Chase, daughter of the Summer King, with my sword, my honor, and my life. Her desires are mine. Her wishes are mine. Should even the world stand against her, my blade will be at her side. And should it fail to protect her, let my own existence be forfeit. This I swear, on my honor, my True Name, and my life. From this day on..." His voice went even softer, but I still heard it as though he whispered it into my ear. "I am yours.”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, look at that, he's heard of me. My fame grows.”

Julie Kagawa
“Fairy godmothers didn't exist, and even if they did, they wouldn't wave a magic wand and make everything better.(Not without a contract, anyway.)”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash brushed the hair from my neck and leaned close to my ear, his voice so soft not even Grimalkin could’ve heard it. “I love you,” he murmured, and my heart nearly burst out of my chest. “Whatever happens, we’re together now.
Always.”

Julie Kagawa
“I kissed him. His arms slid around me and drew me close, and we stayed like that for a while, my hands tangled in his hair, his cool lips on mine. My earlier thoughts in the crypt came back to haunt me, and I shoved them into the darkest corner of my mind. I would not give him up. I would find a way to have a happy ending, for both of us.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash brought my hand to his lips, his eyes never leaving mine. "I love you, Meghan Chase," he murmured against my skin. "For the rest of my life, however long we have left. I'll consider it an honor to die beside you.”

Julie Kagawa
“A soft noise, almost a sob. Ash rose, hesitated, as if fighting the compulsion to obey. "I will always be your knight, Meghan Chase," he whispered in a strained voice, as if every moment he remained was painful to him. "And I swear, if there is a way for us to be together, I will find it. No matter how long it takes. If I have to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise."

And then he was gone.”

Julie Kagawa
“I want her to be happy, and she's most happy with you. Maybe this will make up for... past mistakes." He shook his head and returned to his normal idiocy. "So, either you say, 'Sure, I'd love to have you along,' or you have a big bird dropping things on your head the whole trip.”

Julie Kagawa
“We could die tomorrow," I whispered back. "I want to be with you tonight. I don't want to have any regrets, when it comes to us. So, yes, I'm sure. I love you, Ash.”

Julie Kagawa
“I was allergic to myself! How pathetic was that?”

Julie Kagawa
“Well, don't worry about it too much, princess. Let ice-boy cool off for the night and then try to talk to him tomorrow. He wont stay angry with you too long, I bet. Ash isn't one to hold a grudge. ''
''What are you talking about? He's held a grudge against you for centuries!''
''Oh, right.”

Julie Kagawa
“My, aren't we bossy today. Give a girl an army and it goes straight to her head.”
tags: puck

Julie Kagawa
“Sure you’ll be all right?” Glitch asked, breaking through my thoughts. “I could come with you, if you’d like. They won’t even see me.”
I shook my head. “Better if I do this alone. Besides, there’s one member of that household who can see you. And he’s seen enough scary monsters to last him a lifetime.”
“Begging your pardon, your highness,” Glitch smirked, “but who are you calling a scary monster?”
I swatted at him.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have always loved you, princess," Robin Goodfellow promised, his green eyes shining in the darkness. "I always will. And I'll take whatever you can give me."
I looked down, unable to meet his open stare, human fears and self-consciousness coming to the surface. "Even if all I can offer is friendship? Will that still be enough?"
"Well, not really." Puck dropped his hand, his voice turning light and carefree again, more like the Puck I knew. "Damn not being able to lie. Princess, if you suddenly decide ice-boy is a first-class jerk and that you can't stand him, I'll always be here. But for now, I'll settle for being the best friend.”

02/22/2011 page 161
45.0% "Love this series! Always a fantastic journey with characters I have come to love!!"