Aranthe's Reviews > The Perilous Gard

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Sep 04, 10

Read from September 02 to 04, 2010

This is the third retelling of the Tam Lin ballad that I've read this year and the most enjoyable so far.

Kate Sutton is an intelligent, sensible heroine who keeps her wits about her, in more ways than one, when others are losing theirs. While this book appeals to some purely on the basis of (what has become almost obligatory in contemporary fiction) gender role-reversal, Kate isn't ye olde stock rebellious hoyden in masculine clothing, complete with sword. She's a young Elizabethan lady-in-waiting, physically awkward and gawky, but with a quick, decisive mind and moral courage.

As Kate rises to the challenges of the Perilous Gard, she maintains her integrity even as she is swallowed by the dark world of the Fairy Folk. Pope's treatment of them is truer to the old tales of faerie than most. They are a folk apart, alien, as cold and aloof from humans as their dark realm is from the sunlit world.

Although this book will appeal to young readers, don't allow the YA label to deter you—this was a Newbery Honor Book for good reason.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perilous Gard.

09/02/2010 page 132
41.0% "Okay, I knew I probably shouldn't have picked this one up from the library while I had so many others to read. I was right, but I was in the mood for a dessert. This has proved a good one: a smart and spunky heroine entangled in a dark fairy tale."