Kathryn's Reviews > Bunny Days

Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Read in September, 2010

What an odd, cute, slightly disturbing and somewhat adorable little book! If that sounds like an impossible combination, you have to read this and see for yourself. The illustrations are so cute, they have a distinctive style and I enjoyed them on the whole. The story is kind of cute, but also odd. A cute little bunny family is constantly plagued by Mr and Mrs Goat who are cleaning and doing yard work. ***SPOILERS*** It starts off innocently enough with bunnies getting splashed with mud, going to bear to be cleaned... but they are put in the washing machine, um, odd! Then, they are caught up in a vacuum cleaner (eeek, scary!) and, finally, their tails are cut off by Mr Goat pruning his hedges--ouch! and they look so sad holding those little cotton tails in their paws. Of course, bear fixes everything, the Goats don't mean any harm (but, um, they are terribly careless; and carelessness doesn't equal blamelessness!). In the end "everyone is happy" and I don't think the author meant anything sadistic here. Maybe I'm just being a lame adult here, and maybe kids will find it fun and imaginative, but I couldn't help be a little disturbed by the situations the poor bunnies find themselves in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunny Days.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan I read your first section and will wait to read the rest, but you did must motivate me to reserve it at the library. After I've read the book, I'll read your review.

message 2: by X (new)

X Okay, it *does* sound a bit surrealy odd.

Kathryn Haha, thanks, X! Some of my other GoodReads friends have really enjoyed it but I saw other reviews who felt it was a bit odd, too. Lisa, I hope you will enjoy it and will be very curious to hear your reaction!

message 4: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Was this book translated into English? I haven't read this one, in particular, but I have seen many German books that we in N. America might find odd and scary, even bordering on sadistic, that are just considered cute and humorous in Germany. It's a different point of view, from people who don't mean any harm to children by it.

Now I want to read it!

Kathryn I am pretty sure the author lives in America, though I don't remember if she grew up in another country...

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Sorry this one wasn't more to your taste - I guess I'm just a little strange, for finding it so funny! :)"

Maybe we're weird. Many love it. This is the kind of book where I think mood at the time of reading can make all the difference one way or the other.

Kathryn Yes, I agree.

Lisa Vegan Part of it, for me, is this book & Wonder Bear, in neither do I at all like the art. So, no matter what my mood, I wouldn't be completely enthusiastic about these books.