Ronyell's Reviews > Shiver

Sep 02, 2010

bookshelves: maggie-stiefvater, read-in-2010, 1st-person-pov
Recommended to Ronyell by: Paranormal Romance Club
Read from November 01 to 14, 2010

Oh man! I really wanted to give this book six stars instead of five stars because this book is just so brilliantly written and full of romance that make any romance fan go head over heels with this book! But I guess I will settle with a five star rating for now… “Shiver” is the first book in Maggie Stiefvater’s Mercy Falls series and this book has enough action and love making scenes that will have you all breathless with anticipation!

Grace had spent her time watching the various wolves that come out of the woods, after she was bitten by a wolf a few years ago. However, when one of the students at her school go missing, the townspeople suspected that the wolves have something to do with it and they all tried to go out and kill the wolves. But, Grace will not let that happen since she cares so much for the wolves and after she manages to stop the hunting of the wolves, she meets an injured wolf and she realizes that the injured wolf was a teenage boy named Sam and once Grace discovers Sam’s secret, she tries to do everything in her power to help Sam stay human while sorting out her feelings for Sam!

Wow and double wow! Maggie Stiefvater has created a true masterpiece that is all about true werewolf love! When I read this book, it constantly reminds me of Stephenie Meyer’s famous “Twilight” series, except that we see hot werewolf guys in this book instead of hot vampires, which I found to be extremely enjoyable to read about. There were many aspects that I loved about this book and one of the aspects that I really loved about this book was how each chapter of the book was set up to detail the situation from two different point of views, who were Grace and Sam, which means that each chapter will either have Sam or Grace narrating the story from their point of view, which I thought made this book extremely interesting and creative to look at. Another aspect that I loved about this book was the characters, especially Sam and Grace. I loved the fact that Grace is shown to be an independent and enthusiastic teenage girl who was willing to put her life on the line in order to save Sam, the love of her life and although there were times where I knew more about Sam’s side of the story rather than Grace’s side of the story, I still really enjoyed Grace’s spirit throughout this book. Sam on the other hand, may come off as being too somber for his own good, but that is own to the fact that he really wants to be human instead of a werewolf and he is possibly the sweetest and hottest werewolf character to ever grace upon the world of paranormal romance. What I really loved the most about this book was that over ninety percent of this book was spent in Sam and Grace’s romance with each other as there are a bunch of sweet kisses and sensual hugging (though not in a R-rated way) that made this book somewhat cute yet sensual at the same time!

For anyone who does not like language, there is a good deal of language in this book, although the language is not really strong here, but I think the language in this book would be better suitable for young adults.

All in all, “Shiver” is a truly awesome book for werewolf loves everywhere and also is a great book for paranormal romance fans who love action and hot werewolf love!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

11/01/2010 page 14
4.0% "It's getting pretty interesting so far!" 2 comments
11/04/2010 page 80
20.0% "You know, whenever I really get into a book, I read over 50 to sometimes 100 pages in one day! This book so far proves that I am really getting into it!!"
11/07/2010 page 120
31.0% "Here's a cute little song ditty that Sam imagined up about Grace on page 81:

You're my change of skin / my summer-winter-fall / I spring to follow you / this loss is beautiful."" 5 comments
11/09/2010 page 200
51.0% "Here's a favorite passage on page 132 about how Grace describes Sam:
A chilly gust of wind lifted his hair and sent a shower of golden leaves glimmering down around him. He spread out his arms, letting them fall into his hands. He looked like a dark angel in an eternal autumn wood." 3 comments
11/11/2010 page 280
71.0% "Uh oh!! Secrets are being unleashed!!!" 4 comments
11/14/2010 page 392
100.0% "Finished!!! Review soon to come!!!"
07/26/2016 marked as: read

new_user When I really get into a book, I read it fast too! Glad you're liking this. I liked her style and the tone. So melancholy.

Ronyell Yeah!! The author really makes this book worthwhile!!! I just love the way that she makes the story told from the POVs of Sam and Grace!!

Rhonda Ronyell wrote: "Yeah!! The author really makes this book worthwhile!!! I just love the way that she makes the story told from the POVs of Sam and Grace!!"

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles
This book is like that too!!
I really liked this one.

Ronyell Perfect Chemistry? Hmmm...I never read that book before... is it paranormal romance?

message 5: by Rhonda (last edited Nov 12, 2010 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhonda No, it's just a YA romance. About 250 pages, but I really liked it. One of my friends recommended it and I loved it!!!

That's my little review.

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness OH oh oh, perfect chemistry is fantastic! As for Shiver? Well I loved Linger but Shiver just didnt tickle my fancy like Linger did. I felt it was to drawn out. Nothing significant happened and there wasnt enough interaction between Sam and Grace.

Rhonda REALLY???? Now I want to read LINGER!!! See what you girls do to me!! LMAO

Ronyell Me too!! I can't wait to read Linger after I finished with Shiver!!!

Jasmin Glad you enjoyed this. I have to agree that this has a "Twilight" feel. I was enjoying and it made me giddy, however, the meningitis thing ruined it for me. :/

Ronyell @Jasmin,
Yeah, I admit that I did get thrown off by the meningitis thing because I was wondering to myself that wouldn't they die if they used it as a cure?

Jasmin There is a high chance that they could die due to meningitis, but I thought that a blood transfusion reaction would kill them faster. What are the odds that Sam and the patient with meningitis would have the absolute same blood type? Figuring they have the same ABO blood type, there are still odds, since there are still tons of blood types out there.

Plus, there was this SUPER HUGE chance that Grace and her friend would have caught the meningitis too.

I know I sound geeky, but the science mojo ruined it for me. :/

Ronyell @Jasmin,
That's alright! Actually that sounds really interesting to me! I also think that if you just did a blood transfusion for a person with a different blood type, you could get killed since the blood type isn't the same and Grace and Isabel might have caught the meningitis since they nearly touched it and they were around Jack who caught it.

Jasmin Yes one would die. Especially if the ABO blood type is different. They would have an immediate hemolytic transfusion reaction, where your body battles off the foreign blood.

You did say it better than I did, but you got my point. :D

Ronyell @Jasmin,
Yeah! I know this is a fantasy book, but still they might have kept that information about meningitis realistic as possible.

Jasmin Finally someone who agrees with me. I swear I liked Grace and Sam. I was lightheaded with love. Pretty much how I felt when I read twilight. But then, there came the meningitis stuff. I really hope I enjoyed it more. Maggie does write beautifully. :/

Ronyell @Jasmin,
Yes! She really is a great writer, especially when she is doing Sam's side of the story!

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Wonderful Review Ronyell!

Rhonda Have you girls read Lament The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater or Ballad A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Jasmin Hope you like Linger Ronyell. Unfortunately, I didn't :(

Desperado Fantastic review, Ronyell!

Ronyell Thanks everyone!!! I haven't read Lament or Ballad yet Rhonda, but they sound interesting!!

Rhonda Ballad is the better of the 2.

Ronyell That's great to hear Rhonda!! I'l have to check out these series once I'm finished with the Wolves of Mercy Falls series!

Wendy Darling Ahh, I'm glad this made the six star book shelf! :)

Ronyell Wendy Darling wrote: "Ahh, I'm glad this made the six star book shelf! :)"

Yeah! :D