Josephine Myles's Reviews > Hemovore

Hemovore by Jordan Castillo Price

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, m-m, romance
Read from September 03 to 06, 2010

I'm not terribly interested in reading about vampires these days, but I make exceptions for authors I know I'll enjoy, and JCP is definitely one of them.

The viral premise behind the vampirism was fascinating, as was all of the world building; particularly the vampire art, shakes (yuk!) and the paranoid anti-viral defence products the protagonist surrounds himself with. JCP has also written a taut thriller, that really keeps you turning the pages.

I haven't given it top marks, purely because I found the characters of Mark and Jon quite hard to connect with. I always find it a problem if I don't really like the protagonist that much, especially in a first person narrative. In this case, I did warm to them both throughout the novel, but still didn't feel that love that I have for some of Jordan's other characters. I appreciate that it was down to the way both men guard their emotions so carefully, but it made them difficult to bond with.

Still, it's a great read, and I know that the idea behind it will stay with me even if the characters fade in my memory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemovore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper The world JCP built is indeed really fascinating. She's really good at it.

Josephine Myles Yeah, it was the main strength of this novel, to my mind. I wonder if she'll set more stories there?