Shana 's Reviews > Spiritual Midwifery

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin

Dec 08, 10

bookshelves: didn-t-finish-gasp, pregnancy-and-labor
Read from September 02 to December 07, 2010

This book is a classic. For moms-to-be I recommend the birthing stories and the nutritional/exercise suggestions. There's a lot in it for women interested in facilitating natural or ecstatic child birth, as Ina May is the woman who almost single handedly reintroduced home birth to the U.S. She is wise, warm, tough and tender. She is full of practical advice which she delivers in a refreshing and no-nonsense manner. This is the book that made my mid-wife want to be a mid-wife 30 years ago, when it was illegal in all 50 states. The facts about birth in this country are insane, but Ina May was relatively new on the scene when she wrote this book, in comparison to now (she has a medical maneuver named after her now!). Be aware, this book was written by a woman very very steeped in the radical, home-steading, hippie movement in the 60s and the language often reflects that. It's cheesiness was something I found to be very endearing however. For those not as into the hoodoo-guric aspect of things, choose Ina May's guide to Childbirth instead, though I found both of them to be fascinating and helpful in their own rights.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiritual Midwifery.