Kathryn's Reviews > Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West

Mississippi Jack by L.A. Meyer

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: ya, history
Read from September 02, 2010 to February 28, 2011

Another wild and wonderful adventure with Miss Jacky Faber! Here Jacky is on the run from the British (again/still!) for the bounty so unfairly placed upon her spunky blond head. Her journey this time takes her "out west" to the frontier (in early 1800s sense of the word, i.e., Ohio. Ever in love with ships and the water, it is inevitable that Jacky will soon be floating along the Mississippi River and Jacky's flair for the dramatic is put to good use on a show-boat of her very own making. But, all is not smooth sailing as Jacky and her crew encounter river pirates, hostile Indians, cruel slave-hunters, and even a group of British soldiers headed by the undeniably handsome Captain Richard Allen. Will Jacky be able to navigate the muddy waters and find her way to safety in New Orleans? Can she reunite with her fiance Jamie (and will he still want her)? Will she ever be able to return to her dear Mother England, or will America charm her to stay?

This is probably my favorite Jacky book yet because there is so much variety in her adventures and also more fun and romance. It still deals with some important historical and humanitarian themes, but overall things are just more lighthearted and I enjoyed that for a change. In addition to some of our familiar cast, such as Higgins, Katie Dear and Jim Tanner, this book brings some wonderful new characters to life such as the talltale-esque Mike Fink, the sly showman Yancy Cantrell and his intelligent biracial daughter, the Native American Chiaquat and his white "brother" Lightfoot, and poor little Clementine Dukes so eager to be loved. I will refrain from gushing about how much I love Jacky's character, Katherine Kellgren's narration for the audiobook, etc. as I have already done so quite loquaciously in my previous reviews! Suffice it to say Jacky is one of the most vivid characters I've ever encountered and I am infinitely glad the series remains strong, well-written and engaging as she certainly deserves it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mississippi Jack.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emi What do you think of it so far? I just finished it and loved it! Jacky never fails to make me laugh.

Kathryn I somehow missed your comment earlier, Emi. Sorry! Anyway, I had to take this back to the library before I finished it (holiday and all) but I just got it checked back out today and am so excited to finish it! I'm about half way through and really enjoy it so far :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is definitely one of the more humorous ones so far, I think.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann I'm not reading your review yet, since I intend to read this myself - but once I do I'm really anxious to read your review :)