Heather Denkmire's Reviews > Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are

Buying In by Rob Walker

Sep 02, 2010

it was ok
Read from September 03 to 05, 2010

Eh. At first I was enjoying it because he calls on my favorite topic of framing reality using metaphor. Referencing the scientific study of how our brains work, that logic is informed by emotional content based on meanings we ascribe to everything, etc. etc. I was still enjoying it about half-way through because he kept coming up with neat little interesting points. But then it started to get boring. Sorry for that lame review, but, I'd heard enough about skateboard culture and... well, it was just dull by the end.

Still, I'd recommend it to anyone who believes they "aren't really affected by marketing or advertising." Part of why the book got so dull for me is I'm totally aware that I'm a ridiculous sucker for brand loyalty and marketing. I can tell when something is marketed toward "my demographic" and I "fall for it" anyway. I suppose that's what this book is for (the author says it is). To realize we're all affected but that knowing about it can inform our choices... I guess. So, eh, and meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buying In.