MichelleCH's Reviews > Veronika Decides to Die

Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: 1001, fiction, group-reads
Read from September 02 to 12, 2010

For me this book was about conforming to social norms and how we act and feel in our day to day lives to fit into what society prescribes. Veronika, a librarian (an awesome job I would imagine!), decides to commit suicide but luckily fails and ends up in an institution for the mentally ill. As she is 'treated' by the hospital's head physician she encounters other patients who are all looking for, but seldom finding, their place in the world.

I loved the dialogue and the opportunity that her 'illness' allowed for her to finally find and express her true self. Viewed as an unstable person allowed for her to voice and act out in ways she (and we as 'normal' individuals) would otherwise never have done.

"If one day I could get out of here, I would allow myself to be crazy. Everyone is indeed crazy, but the craziest are the ones who don't know they're crazy; they just keep repeating what others tell them to."

With this (and an on-going experiment by said head physician) Veronika finds love, acceptance and her true voice.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veronika Decides to Die.

09/11/2010 page 71
30.0% "Taking a break from Sarum..Loving this clever story"