David's Reviews > My Life

My Life by Bill Clinton

Nov 03, 10

Read in November, 2010

So far, listening to him read his autobiography is not causing me to like the man any more - mistrust him more than ever. Revisionist history.

Interesting, but one-sided. Which is the same as to say "dishonest."

He glosses over so much that was a problem and it's even worse to listen to him read it in the audio book because he SOUNDS like he knows he's twisting or spinning the truth in his favor. This is the same problem I had with listening to his speeches when he was in office.

What I heard was a man saying he accepts responsibility while simultaneously shifting that responsibility to others. A man who has the insight to realize his actions in many cases were wrong but who smiles and shrugs them off as no big deal without the expectation that he should change them or be accountable.

I expected to like him more and possibly trust him more once I understood his views. It had the opposite effect.

I listened to him read his autobiography because I wanted to get beneath the politics and beyond the negative things people say about him - and suspend prejudice and give his position full, honest hearing. Unfortunately, Mr. Clinton was not willing to do that. I appreciated that he gave brief mention of his struggling with a double life...but he's not done struggling with it. Still duplicitous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Very interesting insights and well-written. Thanks!