Chris's Reviews > Soul Music

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, music, humor, favorites
Read from September 01 to 07, 2010

This book rocks! I loved it from start to finish. The quality of humor rivals that in Pratchett's most famous work, Good Omens, and the characters were as diverse and wild as any out there. Imp the Bard, Susan, the ape Librarian, Duck Man, and Death of course.. who can forget them? The main plot follows Imp, an aspiring harpist from an elegant land. He meets other aspiring musicians including a troll, a dwarf, and the ape/wizard/Librarian that says "ook" all the time. After they discover a guitar seemingly possessed by the soul of rock music, Imp abandons the harp and fronts the revolutionary "Band With Rocks In" with his new friends. The band gets in a whole lot of trouble with crowds, wizards and guilds, but the plot isn't that simple. The other facet follows Death on his mission to forget everything and become more human, leaving his job as Reaper Man to his grandaughter Susan. Death's adventure is one of the funniest things ever, as he seeks advice from recluse monks, armies of men who can't remember anything, and drunk people. Throughout the book Pratchett has some brilliant allusions to rock history, and it's also a philosophical gem that toys with the meaning of music, time, and life itself.

I wish I could recommend it for everyone, but if you don't like rock n' roll or fantasy you probably won't enjoy it the way I did. Being slightly insane will help you enjoy it too, but that's required for any Pratchett book, haha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Music.