Chachic's Reviews > The Murder Of Bindy Mackenzie

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, aussie-books
Read from September 06 to 13, 2010

Originally posted here.

This one is different from the other two because it doesn't concentrate on the "Joy of the Envelope" letter exchange program between the two schools, Ashbury and Brookefield. Instead, the story is told from Bindy's point of view through her diary entries, reports about her Friendship and Development (FAD) sessions and her random musings. Bindy is the type of character that you'd either really love or really hate. At the start of the book, she's pretty easy to dislike because she's so full of herself. However, I found her funny because she's such a character! If you don't take her seriously, I think you'll see that she's hilarious. She's puzzled most of the time because she doesn't understand other people. She lacks social skills so she doesn't have friends and she's totally focused on school work. The first part was pretty slow for me but things started to pick up in the second half of the book and by the time I reached the last few chapters, I knew I had to stick with it until the end - meaning I had to stay up until past 1am even though I wake up at 5am for work.

As with the other two Jaclyn Moriartys that I've read, this one is about friendship. I like how the three books deal with different kinds of friendship. In Feeling Sorry for Celia, it was all about best friends. In The Year of Secret Assignments, it was about the loyalty of a small group of three friends. In this one, it's about forming friendships with a whole group. Like I said, Bindy doesn't really have any friends and she thinks the FAD sessions are a waste of valuable time because she'd rather study. This book is all about Bindy and how she learns more about herself by reaching out to her fellow classmates. Another humorous installment in Jaclyn Moriarty's Ashbury series. What's good about this one is that it gives glimpses of the main characters in the first two books - Elizabeth from Feeling Sorry for Celia and Emily from The Year of Secret Assignments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Of Bindy Mackenzie.

09/07/2010 page 24
09/13/2010 page 217
44.0% 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaethe I like your review. I find it kind of hard to say what I thought of it, except that I ended up quite liking it.

Chachic Hi Kaethe, I feel the same way about other books sometimes. It's hard to put into words how you think about the book that you just finished reading.

Kaethe Heh. Some books just don't strike a single clear note with me, either when I just finish or later.

Chachic Yep, there are some books that are just okay and some that are even "meh"