Steve 's Reviews > The Painted Man

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi-fantasy
Read from January 08 to 16, 2011

This was a thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable read. It was extremely well written with a variety of well developed characters and the story was really well thought out.

As there are so many demon books, and television shows, it was refreshing to read a new slant on the demon genre that worked so well.

You kind of know where it's going, in respect of the title 'The Painted Man' and the early use of ward spells. Paint runs or flakes so that leaves the permanent, right? (Rhet.) But other than that you don't know where the journey will take you, and it was so well written that it was a joy to read. For any female readers interested in this book there are some strong female secondary leads, well written and described in whole chapters of their own. I don't always like a book that digresses in various chapters to other characters, but in this book it works. And it works really damn well.

The lands are fictional, as is the era, but you get the impression of medieval times with the farming villages and large cities. Arlen is a boy when the story starts and through events with the corelings (various demons that arise from the core at night) he becomes determined not to be cowed by them. To live free and not in fear of the night. Also, to give them nothing, as they have taken enough for too long.

This book is a journey, a tale of determined fight, of sorrow, loss, fear, bravery, loves, and Brett gets the characters and tale down to a tea.

An impressive read that I would recommend to anyone intrested in either reading this book, or in the demon/sci-fantasy genre.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Painted Man.

01/08/2011 page 120
22.0% "I'm loving this read. There is so much scope here, and I'm finding it a unique read in the genre of demon tales."
01/13/2011 page 245
45.0% "Loving it! I'm guessing this one may get a brilliant review... Time will tell." 2 comments
01/14/2011 page 320
59.0% "A remarkable read. Thoroughly enjoying it. Great story and well written."
01/19/2011 page 543
100.0% "Actually finished a couple of days ago, just finding time to write the ace review *smiling*."