Molly's Reviews > The Devil's Alphabet

1915284
Sep 21, 10

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi, read-in-2010
Read from September 16 to 21, 2010

Pax is a likable character who left his hometown of Switchcreek, Tennessee after the Changes occurred at the age of 14. It begins with him returning home for the funeral of one of his best friends Jo Lynn, who happened to be a beta. During the changes three different segments of the population came into being. There are the tall, strong, deep voiced argos, the small, hairless, wine colored betas and the fat charlies. Pax was a "skip", which is someone who got passed over during the changes. His intention was to come back for the funeral but he ended up staying to take care of his charlie father. During his stay his other best friend Deke tells him he doesn't believe Jo killed herself and Pax begins looking into who would want to kill her.

There where climatic points but for me it fizzled when Pax became a "junkie" and the end seemed like the author said "okay now I have to end this book" and bam... it was done. The story line was slightly original and with a little more thought could have been a great book. As of right now, I just kinda like it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Alphabet.