Louise's Reviews > The Design of Everyday Things

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, design
Read from September 01 to 14, 2010

2.5 stars.

The book has a handful of solid arguments when it comes to general designing and lots of examples (albeit dated examples) to back it up. The previous title of this book (the Psychology of Everyday Things) is a better fit because most of the book is about how the user's mind works when faced with a product or object.

It's an okay design book, but I have to say that the way the book's formatted is confusing. For being a book about design, it sure makes it hard to figure out why whole paragraphs are italicized (are they anecdotes from other people? examples? excerpts from other papers??) and which section headings have hierarchy over others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Design of Everyday Things.

09/02/2010 page 31
12.0% "Why are some passages italicized when they needn't be? Annoying."
09/06/2010 page 175
68.0% "A lot of very dated examples, but they illustrate his points well."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Louise I'm reading this for homework from work because my UI skills are lacking =(

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam The Philosophy of Everyday Things is good, but I preferred Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug where web UI design is concerned.

message 3: by Louise (last edited Sep 14, 2010 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Louise Yeah I prefer Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability to this one for web UI. This one seems more theoretical and general and tends to get repetitive, hence my lack of progress on it.

Michael Economy I agree about it having a bizzare layout. I just love all the bad UI bashing going on so far, but I still have a lot of book in front of me.