Anita's Reviews > Hunter's Prayer

Sep 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, too-violent
Read in September, 2010

This is a VERY dark urban fantasy with a lot of gruesome violence, so be forwarned. It's the second in this series, and it took me a long time to warm up to it. I feel like I took a beating reading it, it was so hard on the heroine! This version of contemporary America features an underworld of things that go bump in the night but are successfully hidden from the media and public. Hunters kill the bad monsters, and Jill Kismet is the hunter in a New Mexico city. She's made a deal with a demon to gain additional power to fight evil, but she's in a constant struggle not to fall into the temptation to use that power for evil. (I think - it's really hard to understand WHAT Jill is struggling against sometimes. The inner monologue style of writing is hard to desipher.) She's in love with a werecougar who is devoted to her, yet she fears he will leave her. She's also a former prostitute, so when some horrible beasty starts killing pregnant prostitutes in her city, she takes it hard. Then a bunch of evil magic-using humans called Sorrows enter the picture and make the story even more complicated.

Worth reading if you love urban fantasy, but only if you don't mind Saintcrow's signature inner-monologue style of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter's Prayer.