Noelle's Reviews > Love in the Wind

Love in the Wind by Madeline Baker

Sep 07, 2010

bookshelves: historical-na, owned, alpha-male, forced-seduction, hero-almost-dies, hero-violent-to-heroine, romance, kidnapped-by-hero
Read from September 02 to 07, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. This is the first book by Madeline Baker that I have read and I'm sure that I'll read some more. I absolutly hate it when I'm reading "kidnapped by Indians" theme and the h is in love with the H before they even reach his tribe. In this book it takes the h a while before she falls in love with the H and then even more time before she admits it to herself. Imo, that's more realistic. The only problem that I had with this book, and it's a small one, is the language. The H spoke perfect english (it was later explained how he learned it) and the h just seemed to pick his up without any problems. Just one day she's talking with the women of the tribe and we never shown her learning the language.I like it when there is a major language barrier, again it's just more realistic.
I really liked both of the main characters. Iron Wing, being scared from a bear attack and rejected by a woman from his tribe, felt he would never have a woman of his own or children. Then a friend of his had captured a white woman and gave her as a gift to him. Though he didn't really want her it would be a great insult to refuse the gift, and so her execpted Katy into his tipi. Katy, after losing her fiance to an Indian attack, was on her way to live in a convent when her wagon was attacked by Apache. She was left alive but wasn't able to survive on her own when two Cheyenne Indians captured her. She was well treated for the most part, only when she broke the laws of the villiage was she punished.
I think the author painted a pretty good picture of what life might have been like back then. I thought the ending was nice,it just took a little to long for both Iron Wing and Katy to find their HEA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Wind.