Jennifer's Reviews > Freedom

Oct 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from September 18 to October 12, 2010

With a somewhat comforting ending, Franzen really brings it on home. We are left with the sense that this really is the story of us - of any of us or all of us. Perhaps each character presented was a bit more despicable than our family members or friends, but that shouldn't discourage readers from enjoying their stories just as well. Without being preachy, this novel really shows a picture of society, the environment, and bureaucratic issues that face us today. I don't know that I'd go so far to call it - as some have - the great American novel of our times, but definitely worth a read for ambitious, open-minded readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.

09/18/2010 page 320
56.0% "The way Franzen structures this novel is really interesting and adds a lot to the sense of characters overlapping each other."
10/08/2010 page 450
78.0% "Someone asked me the other day, "Do you like any of the characters in this book?" I don't, really. There isn't any character that I really 'root for', but that's part of why I'm enjoying the book. Each character is unique and interesting and fascinatingly pathetic."