Kelly's Reviews > Ink Exchange

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

251943
Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, 2011-favorites, read-in-2011, physical-books, urban-fantasy
Read from March 02 to 13, 2011

Honestly, this series pretty much blows me away. The world of faery that's been created here is not pretty. It's brutal, dark, and the rulers of the different Faery Courts often have to make hard choices to keep their subjects safe.

Irial is doing what he has to do to keep his subjects from starving. When Leslie slips into his life she throws everything off kilter. He goes from needing her to give his people strength to caring about her as a person. It was sweet and the fact that he's the King of the Dark Court, a court that doesn't dabble in the nicer emotions, made his concern for her all the more touching.

Leslie's journey was one that impressed me. She had survived a betrayal at her brother's hands and managed to keep on her feet. She made the decision to change herself and she went for it. Was the change she initiated a good one? Not really, but she wasn't content to sit on the sidelines and wallow in her own misery. In the end, she had to make another hard decision about the actions she was comfortable allowing those around her to dabble in.

I loved Irial and Niall's almost-relationship. I'm desperately hoping that it gets touched upon in later books. I loved Gabriel and his viciousness. Come to think of it, I loved so many of the secondary characters that it's ridiculous.

This book doesn't have a clear cut happy ending. Leslie got her changes, Irial lost so much, Niall gained something that he never expected to gain but all this came with a price. If the changes you seek turn you into someone you can't stand, is it worth it?

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ink Exchange.