Martianngray's Reviews > Blood from a Stone: The Quest for the Life Diamonds

Blood from a Stone by Yaron Svoray

U_50x66
Sep 01, 10

I read this book a couple years ago and what I remember is that I could not put it down. The true story was completely intriguing to me. It is a unique story of World War II, people that endured the war and diamonds. It was also a 2 hour History Channel documentary special. So if you like stories from World War II, you would like this book.

This book is about "Life Diamonds-rough, uncut diamonds of high quality bought by Jews in Eastern Europe to use as passports to safety. After 1939 and the Nazi blitzkrieg, after the extermination camps began belching black smoke into the skies and the railroad station in Auschwitz II-Birkenau became the busiest train station in the world, they became Death Diamonds.

Blood from a Stone is the amazing story of forty of those diamonds, of their journey across continents and oceans, from the mines of South Africa to the diamonds centers in Antwerp and Amsterdam, to the Jews of Eastern Europe, to the death camps....and to the two American soldiers who liberated them from the SS, finally, and buried them in a forest in Alsace on the border between France and Germany. It is the story of the curse believed to lie over the fabulous wealth of these stones, bringing death and disaster to all who touched them. It is the story of Yaron Svoray, who spent more than a decade in search of one small foxhole somewhere in a thousand square miles of forest... and of his unbelievable success."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood from a Stone.