Jason Slovak's Reviews > Field of Screams: Haunted Tales from the Baseball Diamond, the Locker Room, and Beyond

Field of Screams by Mickey Bradley

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 08 to 14, 2010

I won this through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway program and I received my autographed copy just 2-days after winning it! So, a big thank you to the authors and goodreads for this one.

Baseball players, as a rule, are probably some of the most superstitious people you will ever run across. So, it makes sense to me that they would be a little more likely to believe in ghosts or the paranormal. What surprised me most about this book though is the sheer number of stories told and the number of players who report odd occurrences. I'm sure a few of the stories could be explained away as pranks perpetrated by teammates but I don't think that's the case with all of them. Some say that ghosts/spirits will linger in an area that was important to them in life. So, why wouldn't an all-time great baseball player linger at his home stadium?

There were also a few stories that I thought I knew already but come to find out, I only knew part of the story. For example; there was the story a couple years about the construction worker who, while helping build the new Yankee Stadium, buried a David Ortiz jersey in the structure in an attempt to curse the Yankees (god bless him). Reading this book, I found out that he was only one of several people burying things like that in attempt to either curse or bless the team (depending on who they rooted for). It almost makes me worry about the structural integrity of the stadium with all the paraphernalia buried in it!

Bottom line; this is a fun read for pretty much any baseball fan. Even if you don't believe in ghosts or the paranormal there is still a lot of interesting history written about here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Field of Screams.