Jake's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1910

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

May 05, 11

bookshelves: adventure, graphic-novel
Read on January 24, 2011

I was so pissed when the end came, as it left so many things sour and unexplained. Then I very wisely went online and found out how stupidly I jumped the gun. I didn't realize that there were three chapters of Century, which, as it turns out, spans the entire 20th Century. It's supposed to be epic and 1910 is just the first chapter.

So, my opinion totally changed. I'm thrilled. It came up with a new league, set up perfectly 12 years after Volume Two came to a devastating end. After the dense and bizarre Black Dossier, Century: 1910 was a radical return to the set-up of the first two volumes, which is just serious adventure time in old world Britain.

It also introduces the dynamic of two new league characters (master gentleman thief A.J. Raffles and concerned occultist Thomas Carnacki) while also properly defining the arrogant gender-changing Orlando.

The league in 1910 is a more confident and less furious league, which has it's pros and cons. The three gnarliest members (Captain Nemo, Mr. Hyde and the Invisible Man) of the original league aren't in action, so it's not as aggressive and intense as the first two volumes. It's more patient, I guess. So it's like a reborn series with a few returning characters, as it introduces the first act of the grand mesmerizing and overwhelming tale of the 20th Century.

The coming two chapters should be unreal awesome. Stoked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.