Michael 's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Sep 01, 10

Read in September, 2010

It was a pleasure to read this book. Early in the book, the young Jane and her circumstances recalled to my mind Oliver Twist. There is within Jane a characteristic we should all aspire to, and that is of unwavering integrity. Everything she did and the manner in which it was accomplished spoke of her integrity, self-worth, and genuine delight in pleasing others and herself with a job well done.

The language of this book is classic English, which I fear is lost except in my heart and within books like this. My only criticism is that, in my opinion, Charlotte often went too far with descriptive narrative of landscapes and the physical features of her characters. But, those extra words are a small price to pay for a tale well told...mgc

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (last edited Sep 03, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Andrew Breslin I confess that I never actually read Jane Eyre, but I absolutely loved the film version starring Charlotte Gainsburg and Anna Paquin. The book has long been on my "must read" list and just moved up.

Wuthering Heights, on the other hand, written by that other Bronte, was one of the most boring books I have ever read. I often recommend it to insomniacs. It's better than washing down barbiturates with vodka.

Michael I had thought about reading WH also, but based on your valued opinion, I'll spend my time elsewhere....mgc

Jane I've read WH twice but I still can't get passionate about it. I can't think of a single character I actually like, whereas Jane Eyre just draws me in and I feel that these people are strange, indeed, but I'd rather like to have them for neighbors.