Kelsey Lancraft's Reviews > Sanctuary

Sanctuary by William Faulkner

4204796
Sep 01, 2010

I will be the first to admit that any book of Faulkner's is not an easy read. But I will be the first to protest that the complexity and complication characteristic of his books make them a worthwhile read. This is definitely true of this book. It tells the story of Miss Temple Drake, a privileged girl who faces actual trouble for the first time when she is stranded on a farm homestead. Here she falls victim to the villainous men that live there, changing her forever into a different girl. This is my favorite story (of what I have read) by Faulkner, mainly because I loved the complicated main character. Temple is so intricate and unpredictable, especially in the ending, that I finished the book still wondering about her. I think Faulkner is very good at making you think beyond his stories, past the last page. I also think this is because of his writing style. In this book, the littlest of details contains the most information, as shown by the confession scene with Temple and Horace Benbow. The plot is changed with the simplest of sentences, and it takes some skill to catch his subtleties. But this book is worth the headache of understanding Faulkner. Trust me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanctuary.

05/04/2016 marked as: read