Amy's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, suzanne-collins
Read from September 01 to 03, 2010

As a social worker who works with abused and neglected children, I have huge issues with books/movies that portray children in adult situations. I love the Harry Potter series, but the senseless deaths of the kids in the last book make me resent Rowling just a little. So I was a little apprehensive when I read the synopsis of this book on Amazon. My best friend told me to give it a try, so I figured, what the heck. I knew I would have to put the social worker in me aside to enjoy this book.

I did enjoy the book. I think Collins does a good job not giving the other children names or being too descriptive so you don't get emotionally attached to them besides Katniss, Peetra, and Rue. Because it's kind of hard to swallow the death of minor children when there is a name and face to them.

Despite this, this book bothered me a lot. I had to forget the fact that they were kids, especially Rue, who was only 12. Even though Collins reminds us every time one of them die that they are indeed just children and they were just killing each other. I have the other two books, but it may be awhile before I can read them because I don't know if I can handle more death of children.

It was riveting and straight to the point. I think it's an easy read, but a little heavy for some kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

09/01/2010 page 26