Karen K's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Dawn Kimberly Johnson

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the angst and humor and all the emotion. The characters were well-written and I could picture them easily in my head; their strengths and flaws, fears and insecurities, as well as all the love they had to give. Eli was so, as the title, "Broken" and that scene with the painting of Bennett had me in tears - it was so realistic and raw. Alex was a great character and I really liked his intelligence along with his emotional neediness and kind heart.

I have to say I read a few comments before reading Broken, comments regarding gratuitous use of alcohol, and I have to disagree. These are young single people who hold down jobs, have other interests, love each other and like having a good time. I know people who enjoy themselves to the extent of falling down drunk, and ones who numb themselves from the rigors of their aching hearts and souls the same way. I don't think drinking and getting drunk is in any way more gratuitous or unrealistic than reading stories where casual sex, drug use or abuse is rampant. That's just my opinion, of course.

Sorry for the rambling - I'll just say again that I enjoyed this book; the relationships, the trials and tribulations, the characters and the love. I'll definitely read more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.