Garrett Dunnington's Reviews > Autism and Creativity: Is There a Link Between Autism in Men and Exceptional Ability?

Autism and Creativity by Mich Fitzgerald

2043622
Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: 2010, autism, science, psychology, creativity
Read in September, 2010

From most accounts I do fit the criteria, so I haven't developed to the point that I am not autistic anymore. I didn't start talking until I was 2 is what my mom said, and it was full sentences and engaged speech. But besides that, this book has a very valuable introduction, and I wish that it didn't have to make the book consist of biographies of speculative cases. I did not like that I had to read 50 pages about Ludwig Wittgenstein, and I felt that the author said the same thing over and over which was very superfluous. No-one forgets what one has read unless they have been distracted by something exciting. No, but each account is like a monotonous monologue. By the time I finished the section on Wittgenstein I decided that I got the idea entirely and that I did not need to waste my time reading about Keith Joseph. Again, the introduction and the diagnostic issues is the meat of the text. They both introduce the text and educate the lay-person of autism on the criteria, but I wish that the author talked about the subject itself "autism and creativity" instead of cases themselves.
The diagnostic issues chapter contains very valuable statistics, as this book is not very old. So I liked it, but it didn't engage me the same way that I hoped it would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autism and Creativity.